In 2008, Autumn Calabrese founded Mighty Mommies Fitness; a private training as well as group exercise classes, which are dedicated to teaching women how to take care of their body, stay lean and fit while still feel sexy and strong! Autumn's dynamic approach emphasizes total body fitness that incorporates a unique mind/body connection.
She has been featured in LA Parent the Best of LA 2009, C Magazine, Daily Candy and the Palisadian post. She has also worked with celebrities such as Brooke Burke. Check Autumn out at MightyMommies.com
Rules To Live By
I love all of them, ENJOY!
1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Buy a lock if you have to.
3. Record your late night shows and get more sleep.
4. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, “My purpose is to____ today.”
5. Live with the 3 E’s — Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
6. Watch more movies, play more games and read more books than you did in the last year.
7. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, tai chi, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
8. Spend more time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
9. Dream more while you are awake.
10. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
11. Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.
12. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
13. Clear your clutter from your house, your car, your desk and let new and flowing energy into your life.
14. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
15. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn.. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
16. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a child.
17. Smile and laugh more. It will keep the energy vampires away.
18. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
20. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
21. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
22. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
23. Don’t compare your life to other’s. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
24. Burn the candles, use the nice bed sheets, Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: “In five years, will this matter?”
27. Forgive everyone for everything.
28. What other people think of you is none of your business.
29. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
30. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. So stop complaining about the weather, the job, the rents, etc, etc
31. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
32. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
33. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
34. The best is yet to come.
35. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
36. Do the right thing!
37. Call your family often.
Sleep Your Way Skinny!
Being go-getter is great but skimping on sleep is not. AM workouts are great if your going to bed early enough (10pm or earlier). Recent studies show that women who slept seven hours or more were less likely to put on weight then women who didn’t. Those who slept only 6 hours were 12 percent more likely to gain weight…on average 33 pounds over 16 years. Other studies have shown that lack of sleep affects the levels of appetite hormones and may cause you to have a higher Body Mass Index (BMI).
Moral of the story….start counting those sheep an hour or two earlier each night and those workouts will start being a bit more effective!
Please let me know if you have any questions.
All My Best,
Mighty Mommies Fitness Founder
When it comes to getting in shape and losing weight, picking a workout buddy to motivate and encourage you won’t just make the process easier it will also make much more fun! It is important to surround yourself with people who support you and push you to achieve your goals. The greater your support the greater your chance for success! Buddies are great for giving you a boost when you need it, and you can be there rock to lean on as well. So find a friend and set a simple fitness goal together. When you are accountable to someone else, you’ll find you really do work harder.
If you need a little help finding a fitness partner check out a few of the websites listed below.
You can also check on Craigslist, or join a training program for half marathons, marathons, a biking club, baseball league or volleyball team.
Stay tuned to learn how sleep affects your weight!Keywords: Autumn Calabrese, bck to school workouts, Momz In The Mix Fitness Expert, workout buddy system
Finding an exercise method that is RIGHT for YOU might feel like a daunting task but it doesn’t have to be. Taking the first step to a healthy, active lifestyle can be fun. Think of it as a little adventure. To find the right fitness routine for you there are a few thing that you should keep in mind. First and foremost…
* Try different workouts: It is important to try several types of workouts, the first thing you try might not be right for you, before you give up on the routine all together try something else. This is the adventure! A few examples, try a dance class (hip hop, jazz, ballet, salsa) if this isn’t your cup of green tea go for a jog, try hiking, take a spin class, use weights. Think outside of the box when picking fitness routines. You may like something like Karate or boxing, nothing is off limits as long as you are moving your body and having fun.
* Pay attention to how your body feels after each workout: especially the first two days after the workout. Do you feel good, energized, and ready to take on the day? Do you feel extremely sore, tired, pain, maybe like you can’t move? If this is the case you may want to take it down a notch for the first few weeks. Remember when you start ANY fitness routine you are going to be sore and tired but it should not last for more than a few days.
* Try to avoid “gadgets”: There is equipment that works and is beneficial, like free weights and stability balls, and then there are “gadgets” which promise a lot but don’t really deliver.
* Check in with yourself: How did you feel mentally? Did you like the instructor, did you like the environment? Did you feel positive about your workout? These are important questions; if you didn’t feel good about what you did chances are you won’t want to continue with it.
* Seek professional advice: When starting a fitness program it can be very beneficial to work with a trainer for a few sessions. A trainer can help you clarify your goals then set short and long term goals. They can also give you a realistic time frame for achieving your goals. Once this is finished you can get into the workouts. Trainers have a wealth of knowledge to share with their clients. They WANT to teach, motivate and help you achieve your goals. You will also learn proper form and how to use equipment that you may have never used before.
*When picking a trainer make sure they have a nationally accredited certification or a degree in a related field.
Taking the first step can be the hardest but once you find a program that works for you, you will begin to have fun and look forward to your workouts. Grab your sneakers and getting moving: the past is history, the future is a mystery, today is a gift that is why it is called the present. Don’t waste the gift of today.
Check back for my next post on Flat Belly FoodsKeywords: Angelyna Martinez, Autumn Calabrese, Mari Deno, Momz in the Mix, Momz In The Mix Fitness Expert, new fitness routines
Today’s post is for all of my mommies out there. I received an email yesterday from a woman asking me what she can do for her separated stomach muscles, this is a common problem for women who have had children so I would like to give a little advice on it. Diastasis recti: This is the formal name for abdominal separation. During pregnancy the vertical mid line of the abdominal wall softens and stretches around your growing belly, this may cause it to separate. This usually happens in the second or third trimester and is painless so if you don’t check for it you probably will not know it has happened.
If you feel a separation, you need to change your workout to put less strain on the abdomen’s, and do your abdominal exercises differently to prevent a larger separation. You don’t have to stop exercising all together however if the separation is more than two and one-half inches, seek medical advice.
Most of the time the separation will fix it self after you deliver.
To Check for Diastasis recti: Lay on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the ground. Place your first and second fingers just above your bellybutton. Lift the head, neck and shoulders off of the ground and feel for a separation in the abdominal wall.
Do a plank: you want to start on your hands and knees. Pull your bellybutton into your spine and come up on to your toes so that you are in a flat line on your hands and toes. Hold the position for 15 sec-1min.
Crunches with your feet on the floor.
Bicycles: are good as well but if your stomach muscles are not to strong yet start with a modified bicycle. Lay on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Put your hands behind your head with your elbows out to the side, lift your right knee into your chest and cross your left elbow over toward it, put the right foot back on the ground and repeat with the other side.Keywords: abdominal separation, abdominals, diastasis recti, exercises